Re: XMMS and CD Audio Broken

Lonnie Sutton wrote:
	by murphy.debian.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id D6D431F4A0
	for <debian-user@lists.debian.org>; Wed, 12 Mar 2003 06:54:40 -0600
(CST) Received: from [203.33.171.57] by mail.light.net.au (NTMail
5.06.0016/NU0474.00.5bf8a63e) with ESMTP id sbkymcaa for
debian-user@lists.debian.org; Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:54:12 +1100 Received:
from thebox.bloog.ddts.net ([192.168.0.2])
by leserver.bloog.ddts.net with esmtp (Cipher TLSv1:DES-CBC3-SHA:168) (Exim 3.35 #1 (Debian))
	id 18t3Xy-0002O7-00
	for <debian-user@lists.debian.org>; Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:33:18 +1100
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:33:17 +1100
From: "Rob Weir" <rweir@ertius.org>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: XMMS and CD Audio Broken

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 07:33:01PM -0800, Lonnie Sutton wrote:
On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 06:52:03PM +1100, Rob Weir wrote:

Cd playing rpgorams like xmms-cdread and grip just ask the CD drive to
play an audio CD, and they then start blitting the digital stream (or
send analog audio directly) down a special cable to the sound card.
Have you connected your cd drive to your soundcard?

I have now, thanks, he says with a red face. As I mentioned in earlier
replies, though the Gnome CD player, gtcd, now works OK, XMMS still does
not see the audio CD. Since XMMS played audio CD's just fine using the
ATAPI CD-R (which still shows up in dmesg, though the laser died), I
have obviously gotten something simple screwed up. I'll keep trying.

Oh, ok...Stupid question, but have you told xmms-cdread to use your
other CD drive?  You can set this in the preferences->audio
i/o->input->cdaudio-player section.

I'm the one asking the stupid questions in this thread. ;-) I have had
the device set as "/dev/cdrom" and the ls -l /dev/cdrom shows:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     audio           4 Mar  8 14:21 /dev/cdrom ->
scd0
the ls -l /dev/scd0 reports:

brwxrwxr-x    1 root     cdburn    11,   0 Jun 13  2001 /dev/scd0

There you can see where my confusion arises. I do not have an ATAPI
device in the system anymore. It is an all SCSI system, with the CD
burner/audio/data reader all the same device. dmesg reports the device as
follows:

  Vendor: YAMAHA    Model: CRW8824S          Rev: 1.00
    Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0

Also, I have the "sg" module installed, and lsmod reports it as follows:

sg 14960 0
so I note that under the "Used" column in the lsmod report that "sg" is
reported with "0" use?

ls -l /dev/sg0 reports:

crw-rw----    1 root     cdburn    21,   0 Jun 13  2001 /dev/sg0

The group cdburn comes from the suggestion of the gcombust author for
being enabling using gcombust as user rather than root. I still don't
have everything set up correctly to permit me to burn. I changed the
groups and permissions as he suggested, but still no joy as far as
burning or cd playing.

I haven't tried either of the above suggestions yet, but I did try to
burn a CD from the command line, unsuccessfully. Not only was it an
unsuccessful attempt, but I locked up my machine hard. First time I have
done that in a long time. "cdrecord" started out OK, and reported all
the correct data re the drive, media and iso file, but just after the
warning that the burn would start, and it reported the buffer was ready,
there was a message re "OPC" and then the machine locked up, with the
hard drive light on, and of course, nothing burned. Scanbus reports the
hard drives and the burner correctly. When I check dmesg, the burner is
reported as "sr0", and identified correctly.

Gah, that's odd.  If you've loaded ide-scsi, sg and sr_mod in the
correct order, it should Just Work.  If cdrecord sees it as a SCSI
device, then I'd say you've got that part right already...

I haven't loaded ide-scsi since I don't have an ide device that I am
working with. Everything I read says that if I am using an actual scsi
burner, I should be good to go. The frustrating thing is, I had it
working at one time, and I have diddled so many things trying to get it
going again, that I have no doubt got something fouled up. Just as an
additional confusing element in the whole mess is the fact that the gtcd
player will play the cd OK, and it is set the same way that the xmms cd
player is set, as far as device is concerned, i.e., both have device set
as "/dev/cdrom".

When I look in /proc/devices both "sr" and "sg" are shown as block
devices. If I do a "ls -l" for the devices, I get the following:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     cdrom           4 Mar  8 14:21 /dev/cdrom ->
scd0
brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Jun 13  2001 /dev/scd0
crw-------    1 root     root      21,   0 Jun 13  2001 /dev/sg0
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Mar  5 19:57 /dev/sr0

Do I need to have two devices at work here, i.e., scd0 for the reader
and scd1 for the burner?

Are you using devfs?  If not, then you'll have an enormous number of
device nodes in /dev that don't correspond to installed hardware.  Even
if you are, the device naming is a little odd.  scd0 will be the first
scsi cd drive, and sg0 will be the first generic SCSI device.
Unfortunately, depending on how your system is setup, sg0 and scd0 may
not be referring to the same physical drive.  It'd depend on the physical
arrangement of your disks, which I can't remember from the original
question :)

I have three scsi devices, two hard drives (sda=IBM 4.3GB, address 0,1,0;
sdb=IBM 9.0GB, address 0,2,0) and a scsi CD Burner (Yamaha 8824S, address
0,3,0). I am not surprised that you might have gotten lost in this
thread, having that problem myself. ;-) Really though, I do appreciate
the answers I have gotten and the time and trouble people have taken to
be helpful and I am sure I will get it all sorted out eventually,
especially with the good help I am getting.

Either way, you'll have an scdX device for each cd reader, and an sgN
driver for each generic scsi device (which is probably only your cd
burner).

One last piece of information for this mix is that when I try to use
RealPlayer, which also worked just fine (RealPlayer8) until this recent
development, I get the error message "Cannot open the audio device.
Another application may be using it." This even though there is no audio
device being used that I am aware of.

You can check with 'fuser -v /dev/dsp' and 'fuser -v /dex/mixer', and
it'll list whichever programs have them open.

I tried both of these commands as root after getting the same error
message with RealPlayer, and neither returned anything. Since RealPlayer
worked the other day, not sure what has gotten munged up.

No idea about this, then.  Unless the permissions on
/dev/{dsp,audio,mixer} have got messed up somehow; they should be owned

Rob, thanks again for your efforts, and if you have any additional
suggestions after wading through all of the above, please send them
along. I will keep working on it until I get it sorted out.

Nah, I still haven't gotten realplayer going again, though it was working
fine until I started mucking about with trying to replace my broken ide
cd player with using my scsi burner as both burner and player. Doesn't
seem like it should be as difficult as I am making it, but that is my
fault.

I don't know if you've fixed the problem, but I had the same problem with my IDE cd-rw drive. I solved it when I installed workbone via apt-get. Perhaps workbone should be a dependancy for XMMS (as XMMS comes default with an Audio CD player plugin)?

Now to go read up and see if I can use the rw feature of my cd-rw. ;)