Re: XMMS and CD Audio Broken

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 07:33:01PM -0800, Lonnie Sutton wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 06:52:03PM +1100, Rob Weir wrote:
> > Cd playing rpgorams like xmms-cdread and grip just ask the CD drive to
> > play an audio CD, and they then start blitting the digital stream (or
> > send analog audio directly) down a special cable to the sound card.
> > Have you connected your cd drive to your soundcard?
>
> I have now, thanks, he says with a red face. As I mentioned in earlier
> replies, though the Gnome CD player, gtcd, now works OK, XMMS still does
> not see the audio CD. Since XMMS played audio CD's just fine using the
> ATAPI CD-R (which still shows up in dmesg, though the laser died), I
> have obviously gotten something simple screwed up. I'll keep trying.

Oh, ok...Stupid question, but have you told xmms-cdread to use your
other CD drive?  You can set this in the preferences->audio
i/o->input->cdaudio-player section.

> I haven't tried either of the above suggestions yet, but I did try to
> burn a CD from the command line, unsuccessfully. Not only was it an
> unsuccessful attempt, but I locked up my machine hard. First time I have
> done that in a long time. "cdrecord" started out OK, and reported all
> the correct data re the drive, media and iso file, but just after the
> warning that the burn would start, and it reported the buffer was ready,
> there was a message re "OPC" and then the machine locked up, with the
> hard drive light on, and of course, nothing burned. Scanbus reports the
> hard drives and the burner correctly. When I check dmesg, the burner is
> reported as "sr0", and identified correctly.

Gah, that's odd.  If you've loaded ide-scsi, sg and sr_mod in the
correct order, it should Just Work.  If cdrecord sees it as a SCSI
device, then I'd say you've got that part right already...

> When I look in /proc/devices both "sr" and "sg" are shown as block
> devices. If I do a "ls -l" for the devices, I get the following:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     cdrom           4 Mar  8 14:21 /dev/cdrom ->
> scd0
> brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Jun 13  2001 /dev/scd0
> crw-------    1 root     root      21,   0 Jun 13  2001 /dev/sg0
> brw-rw-rw-    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Mar  5 19:57 /dev/sr0
>
> Do I need to have two devices at work here, i.e., scd0 for the reader
> and scd1 for the burner?

Are you using devfs?  If not, then you'll have an enormous number of
device nodes in /dev that don't correspond to installed hardware.  Even
if you are, the device naming is a little odd.  scd0 will be the first
scsi cd drive, and sg0 will be the first generic SCSI device.
Unfortunately, depending on how your system is setup, sg0 and scd0 may
not be referring to the same physical drive.  It'd depend on the physical
arrangement of your disks, which I can't remember from the original
question :)

Either way, you'll have an scdX device for each cd reader, and an sgN
driver for each generic scsi device (which is probably only your cd
burner).

> > > One last piece of information for this mix is that when I try to use
> > > RealPlayer, which also worked just fine (RealPlayer8) until this recent
> > > development, I get the error message "Cannot open the audio device.
> > > Another application may be using it." This even though there is no audio
> > > device being used that I am aware of.
> >
> > You can check with 'fuser -v /dev/dsp' and 'fuser -v /dex/mixer', and
> > it'll list whichever programs have them open.
>
> I tried both of these commands as root after getting the same error
> message with RealPlayer, and neither returned anything. Since RealPlayer
> worked the other day, not sure what has gotten munged up.

No idea about this, then.  Unless the permissions on
/dev/{dsp,audio,mixer} have got messed up somehow; they should be owned
by root.audio, with crw-rw----.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/