XMMS and CD Audio Broken

I am using Woody 3.0 and XMMS 1.2.7 and until recently had both a SCSI
CD Burner and an IDE CDROM that I used for normally reading data and
playing CD's, using XMMS. My IDE CDROM recently died, so I thought I
would just change my fstab to point to the SCSI burner and use that for
the CD's I wanted to play. While XMMS plays streams OK, such as
Shoutcast, it does not see the CD player. Just to add to the confusion,
I tried to play a CD using Gnome's gtcd player. It sees the CD I want to
listen to, and says it is playing it, but no sound. I made sure that the
CD burner had group CDROM and I am listed as belonging to that group.

I have not installed Gnome or KDE, as I am using WindowMaker and like it
a lot.

As long as I am talking about problems with the CD Burner, I should
mention that I have not gotten gcombust to work either. It tells me that
I am not using cdrecord as root, which is true, I am trying to burn a CD
as a user.

I should mention that I can read data from the SCSI burner without any
problem, so I believe the fstab is OK.

One last piece of information for this mix is that when I try to use
RealPlayer, which also worked just fine (RealPlayer8) until this recent
development, I get the error message "Cannot open the audio device.
Another application may be using it." This even though there is no audio
device being used that I am aware of.

Any sound gurus that can point me in a useful troubleshooting direction?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help. I have read all the README's
and FM's I could find.

Lonnie Sutton - lsutton2@qwest.net - Bainbridge Island, WA 98110