Re: Mounting SMB FS

Stephen E. Hargrove wrote:
Does your kernel understand the Samba filesystem.  You might see if
insmod smbfs does anything or making sure it's compiled into your
kernel.

jan-jr-ent:~# insmod smbfs
Using /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/fs/smbfs/smbfs.o
insmod: a module named smbfs already exists
<snip>

Jeremy Cheng wrote:
> Try leaving out the fs in mount -t smbfs.  So it would be "mount -t smb
> //server/resource /mountPoint." The problem with that is you have to make

All ready tried that, but I'll go ahead and do that again (btw man 8 mount says mount -t smbfs is supported)

jan-jr-ent:~# mount -t smb -o username=Alex,pass=Linux\ is\ god. //hal9001/C /mnt/windows/
mount: fs type smb not supported by kernel

> sure that your kernel is configured to support smbfs.  If you don't find
> any sucess in what I just said, you can install the debian package smbfs
> and it has a smbmount command that you can mount with... which makes
> things way easier... =)

I've never had any success with smbmount, it's always told me to use 'mount -t smbfs -o blah blah blah'. I'll go ahead and see if I need to grab that package, though.

Installed and mounted, thanks (you'd think that smbfs would be a dependency for smbclient and smbcommon packages).