Re: Z52 issues with cups

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 05:16:50PM +0100, J.Lambrecht wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I've been trying to get my Z52 to work with linux, CUPS using gimp-print.
>
> At first i messed up the innitial config but then all fell into place,
> still i cannot print. Even when cups says task completed there is no
> output. Using the lexmark-foomatic-kit i can print testpages however using
> the same device /dev/usb/lp0 as cups does.
>
> I've tested different Lexmark Z52 drivers with no difference then that the
> cups-jobs-report states either 'aborted' or 'completed' with no output at
> all.
>
> Apparently there's a signal 2! (interrupt) situation after cups sends the
> data to usb but i get no further debug information.

I use a Lexmark Z52 on Woody. I chose the lexmark-foomatic-kit with the
lexmarkinkjet binary driver instead of the gimp-print driver. The binary
driver allows one to clean the cartidge nozzles, which is important as
they do get clogged on occasion. (I couldn't figure out how to use the
gimp-print driver to clean the nozzles ... perhaps this isn't even a
feature?) I was able to use either driver to print to the Lexmark.

I have never gotten a signal 2! error in my cups logs, and I do not know
what it means.

Getting the USB working was somewhat involved for me (the Lexmark Z52
was my first USB device on Woody). I fould the USB-guide at
www.linux-usb.org very helpful to get the Lexmark finally working. I
recall I needed to mount a usbdevfs and to install the printer module.

Graeme