Re: [possibly OT] change in behavior of terminal windows after upgrade to GNOME 2.2

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 16:11, Michael Wardle wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 12, 2003 01:52, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Specifically, this regards "window blanking" in "full screen" curses
> > apps (like man(1), less(1) & vi(1), but not more(1)).
> >
> > When I was running GNOME 1.4 from sarge, the "screen" would not blank
> > when I exited these type of apps; i.e., the last remaining bit of the
> > app would still be on the "screen".  This was a good and helpful thing.
>
> You can make less behave the way you want by running it with -X or setting
> $LESS to an option string including "X".  When less is installed, it is used
> as the manual pager, so this change should get man pages working the way you
> want for free.

Worked like a champ; thanks.

> I thought vi did actually clear the screen by default, and I'm not aware of a
> way to change this.  If my recollection is incorrect, you might like to
> ensure that you're running nvi as vi.  You could also run vim and see if
> there's an option to not clear or initialize the screen.

Vim is my vi, and I looked in the man page, but didn't see any such
option, but shall keep looking.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| Spit in one hand, and wish for peace in the other.            |
| Guess which is more effective...                              |