Re: image viewer that refreshes?

"Matthew Weier O'Phinney" <matthew@weierophinney.net> writes:

> I haven't used this, but I have used a number of other applications
> that work like this. Basically, giving 'display' the option
> '-immutable' and throwing it into the background makes display sorta
> kinda act like a server of sorts -- commands can be given to
> it. Which is where '-remote' comes in -- it's saying to 'display' to
> look for an already running instance of 'display' and then to change
> the image being used.

Looks correct, although in my case, using -immutable for the first
invocation of display causes later -remote invocations to close the
original window.  So, for me, the above paragraph is true, minus the
'-immutable' option.

> (For the OP - had you considered loading the image in
> Mozilla/Galeon/Opera/Phoenix... and setting an autoreload on it, either
> via the tab/window preferences or using mozilla-remote?)

Yes, that wouldn't be bad...unfortunately I can't keep a browser
running for very long usually.  My X server is often a thin-client
xterm, and for some reason browsers keep dying with the following
types of errors:

    X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
      Major opcode of failed request:  53 (X_CreatePixmap)
      Serial number of failed request:  14366
    X Error of failed request:  BadGC (invalid GC parameter)
      Major opcode of failed request:  57 (X_CopyGC)
      Resource id in failed request:  0x2c0074d
      Serial number of failed request:  14448

Maybe it's a colormap issue, but I'm clueless.
--
Benjamin