Re: [off topic] Learning Shell from an old UNIX book

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 10:41, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> Hi There:
>
> This message is not debain related, however as this ML is my best source of
> information, I hope you'll excuse me.
>
> I want to learn shell programming. Thus I went to my university's library and
> found a book named "UNIX Shell Programming". The problem is, the book is
> written on 1988, and covers shell programming on Korn, Bourne and the C Shell
> on both AT&T System V and Berkely systems ( I guess these two were the most
> major Unices at the time ).
>
> Obviously, I am using Debian GNU/Linux not System V or BSD, and I use BASH.
> But this is the only book in our library about shell programming. so I
> wonder:
>
> 1 ) Can this book be beneficial for me? or is it so obsolete that it is not
> usefull anymore?
>
> The book shows examples for all of these tree shells. Therefore I wonder
> 2 ) Bash is more similar to which one of these Shells? Korn Bourne or C ?
>
> 3) What things shall I keep in mind when reading example programs. Do commads
> on Korn, Bourne and C, usually work on Bash? Or is Bash using a completely
> diffrent syntax?
>
> Cheers
> --
> "Dismiss the weak and inferior, embrace the
>  Evil and Possess your Box  before the beast
>  that has been unleashed upon you"
>                         -UNDEAD EvilEntity Linux
>
> Aryan

The Bourne and Korn shell scripting should be good for scripting in
Bash, as Bourne is the "original" commonly used shell and Bash and Korn
are both syntactical extensions of it along generally the same themes.
The C Shell also extends on the Bourne shell, but with a different
syntax that is not compatible. Depending on your experience with shell
scripting, this could be redundant or a "God-send" - my memories of the
book are generally quite positive and that it was helpful to someone
that had a C Shell background migrating to the Korn Shell (and which has
still served me well with Bash.)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org