Re: How can I find out what MTA a debian machine is using?

* Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net> [20030310 19:35 PST]:
> I know you already have your answer, but one very simple way to
> determine what software is running is often just to connect to it.
>
> $ telnet localhost smtp
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 rattler ESMTP Exim 3.35 #1 Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:17:11 -0600
> ^]
> telnet> quit
> Connection closed.

This works fine, as long as you're running an smtp daemon.  For example,
my laptop doesn't run an smtp daemon, but does have an MTA (exim) used
only for sending mail.

good times,
Vineet
--