cannot install Woody on P4B533-E

Title: Message
Hi all... I've joined this list in hopes that I can find some answers.

I'm dying to use Linux (particularly any flavor besides Red Hat 8.0!).  I've tried Mandrake 9.0, the betas of 9.1... but succumbed to Mandrake's inability to use my PDC20276 hard disk controller (MBFastTrack133).

Now I'm trying to load Debian in hopes that I can get it to work on this motherboard, but I absolutely cannot get it to load.  It claims to not find any hard drives whatsoever in the install (using bf42).  Anyone happen to know exactly what to do about this?  I've seen that some of the developers have 4 machines running this motherboard, so I'm hoping someone has some pointers!

--Alexander