Re: Only Modem Is Detected

Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:

Kent West wrote:

Yes. But if you hadn't already loaded the tulip module (or if you remove it with "rmmod tulip") you can also run "modconf" and select the tulip driver, which will both install the module into the kernel and place it into /etc/modules so you don't have to. Either method should work fine.

Tulip is already installed in the kernel.

Which is why I stated "if you hadn't already loaded the tulip module". I was just saying (so that you'd know in the future) that you could either:

1)
load the tulip module (modprobe tulip)
  and
edit /etc/modules.conf

or

2)
run modconf, which would do both in one step.

Can we assume you did not reboot without adding the module to

No.

If you rebooted without first putting "tulip" in /etc/modules.conf, then the reboot unloaded the tulip driver . . .

"lsmod" to make sure the tulip module is still loaded. However, I assume it was loaded when you reconfigured the network interfaces.

tulip is indeed loaded.

but since tulip is indeed loaded, then everything's fine at this point.

I suspect that you think you modified /etc/network/interfaces, but that for some reason the changes didn't get saved or something similar. Do a

I was root, did the edit with nano, saved with no problem. Rebooted. When I reopened /etc/network/interfaces the entry is still there.

"cat /etc/network/interfaces" to make sure that the changes are actually in the file. You may also want to add "eth0" to the "auto lo" line

They are and will do.

Ok, there goes my theory.

Perhaps you don't have a dhcp client (dhcp-client or pump, probably) installed?

Kent