Re: Only Modem Is Detected

Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:

nate wrote:

Joseph A Nagy Jr said:

I have a LinkSys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network Anywhere, model  number
NC100U. I know it works as I was able to use it under RedHat. I  cannot
for the life me figure out what packages to install (other then  dhcp,
which is installed and running) to try and connect to the net via  my
router (also a LinkSys product).

are loaded, the network module will probably be pretty easy to single
out. then load that module on the debian side(modprobe module_name).
If it works then add the module name to /etc/modules to load it each
time the system starts up.

So, I just put "tulip" at the bottom of the list and that's it?

Yes. But if you hadn't already loaded the tulip module (or if you remove it with "rmmod tulip") you can also run "modconf" and select the tulip driver, which will both install the module into the kernel and place it into /etc/modules so you don't have to. Either method should work fine.

assuming the NIC is supported at all in the stock kernels. from a quick
search it may be a tulip based card, so modprobe tulip may make
the interface available.

Did that (thanks to another post in this thread, results in my reply to that one)

you may need to configure that as well, a simple setup would be
to put the following line in /etc/network/interfaces :

iface eth0 inet dhcp

then run /etc/init.d/networking restart

good luck

added the above, ran above. Output:

Reconfiguring network interfaces: done

So, I ran (from /etc/init.d/)
#./networking stop
Reconfiguring network interfaces: done
#./networking start
Setting up IP spoofing protection: rp_filter.
Configuring network interfaces: done.

Then I ran
#ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK Running MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisons:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:42996 (41.9KiB) TX bytes:42996 (41.9 KiB)

Can we assume you did not reboot without adding the module to /etc/modules (or "rmmod tulip") before trying this? You might try "lsmod" to make sure the tulip module is still loaded. However, I assume it was loaded when you reconfigured the network interfaces.

I suspect that you think you modified /etc/network/interfaces, but that for some reason the changes didn't get saved or something similar. Do a "cat /etc/network/interfaces" to make sure that the changes are actually in the file. You may also want to add "eth0" to the "auto lo" line (assuming it's in there) to bring up the NIC automatically on bootup (see "man interfaces").

Kent