Re: Comments on security, Re: recover lost root password

Am Son, 2003-03-09 um 10.46 schrieb Satish Iyer:
> Hi,
>    I am new user of Debian Gnu/Linux. I have
> successfully setup and started using the system (my
> understanding and knowledge grows day by day).
> To my current understanding security seems to be a
> major drawback of gnu/linux systems.

I dare to with-speak!

> (How else can you
> explain such gaping holes?).

If an intruder has physical access to your machine you have lost.
There are dozens of ways to "recover" the root password, like using
init=/bin/bash, sticking the HD into another Computer and mount it there
and so on. IIRC it is possible to tell Lilo not to allow entering kernel
parameters. Dunno for grub, just check its manpage

> I am also inherently suspicious of anything that goes
> by "free" (Please try to convince me otherwise).
> As I see it an adminstrator has his task cut out for
> him to ensure the security and confidentiality of the
> organization. (Gnu/Linux doesn't make things easy in
> this crucial aspect!).

Huh? If you want security install Debian/stable and apt-get upgrade once
a day to d/l all security fixes.
To smaller all remaining security risks it is a Good Thing to remove all
unnecessary software from the system (compiler, tcpdump etc).

A healthy setup doesn't even need a packetfilter since there are no open
ports on that machine anyways.

--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice