Optimizing X

Hi,
   Whenever I start gnome (by typing gdm on the
command line) it takes a log of time to start up. I
understand that that it reads the configuration file
and then performs various test based on the given
configuration.
I have noticed (from the log) that the number of tests
it performs for the monitor and the display is quite
large. For example, it checks the given hsync and
vert. sync and outputs "Out of range" messages for
quite a number of values in the given range.  It
finally comes up with a list of permitted clock
frequencies for the given sceeen resolutions.
I feel that i can perform some optimization here. The
question is how do I go about it. Also I must take
care of debconf related issues.. ( i can't make
changes with the comments ###BEGIN.... ###END.
So how do I go about the task?
Regards,
Satish.

       visit http://in.tv.yahoo.com