Re: Two network cards of same type, which eth0, which eth1?

Mark Janssen, 2003-Mar-07 14:17 +0100:
> On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 13:26, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> > I am going to be installing two new network cards soon, most likely
> > I'll be getting that cheap junk that is the rtl8139. How do I choose
> > which one must be eth0? Module parameters to the 8139too module? (In
> > the past I simply loaded the correct module first.
>
> THey are detected in PCI order... so the lowest numbered PCI slot first,
> and then in order. So this depends on your motherboard. In my case they
> are numbered from low to high in the case. Check your mobo
> documentation.

My motherboard assigns them by the highest PCI number first.  01:06.0
gets to be eth0, and 01:05.0 gets to be eth1.  This is with 2.4.20
kernel and a Tyan S2060 Tomcat i815 motherboard.

Check /var/log/dmesg to see how they are assigned.  I don't know if it
depends on the motherboard or the kernel, but I suspect it's the
kernel.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer