using XVidModeExtension to change depth/resolution crashes apps

Hi,

I posted here earlier with a problem with ut2003. When trying quake3 I encountered the same problem. I think it is due to the use of xvidmodeextension (it's certainly when changing resolution and/or color depth). This is the error message that I got from quake:

Using XFree86-VidModeExtension Version 2.1
XF86DGA Mouse (Version 2.0) initialized
XFree86-VidModeExtension Activated at 800x600
Using 8/8/8 Color bits, 24 depth, 0 stencil display.
Received signal 11, exiting...
DOUBLE SIGNAL FAULT: Received signal 11, exiting...
Shutdown tty console

could anybody _please_ help with this? I'm at a loss.

tia,
wim

--
Only two things are infinite: human stupidity and the universe, and I'm not sure about the latter.
 -- Albert Einstein