Re: How can I power down the computer?

* Jeffrey L. Taylor <jeff@austinblues.dyndns.org> [20030308 05:57 PST]:
> Quoting Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>:
> > >

> > > You can configure your kernel to use power management - either APM or
> > > ACPI depending on your hardware. I don't know how it's done with the
> > > debian packaged kernel, but if you compile from scratch, the power
> > > management stuff is under General setup in menuconfig.
> >
> > Or just load the APM module.
> >

> In the default kernel, 2.2.20, APM is not a module.  It is compiled in
> and disabled by default.  Add "apm=on" to the append variable in
> /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo, if you are using it.  I expect GRUB has
> the capability too.  Or just turn in on at the boot prompt, e.g.,
> "Linux apm=on".

More precisely, this isn't a lilo variable being set.  This is a kernel
command line parameter.  In LILO, these are specified by way of an
"append" line, something like

append="apm=on"

In GRUB, the kernel command line is specified directly, like

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20 apm=on

Usually, these won't be alone on the command line; you'll have something
like

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20 root=/dev/hda3 ro apm=on video=vesa vga=0x317

I'd also like to say, to anyone who's ever considered that maybe there's
a decent alternative to LILO, GRUB kicks ass.  It's an absolute pleasure
to work with if you're ever configuring your boot.  What it can do at
run time is just amazing after working under the shackles of lilo's
install-time config.

good times,
Vineet
--