Re: How can I power down the computer?

Quoting Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 06:42:18PM -0600, Ian Melnick wrote:
> > > If there any way to configure debian so it does everything in one step and
> > > I don't need to press the power bottom after all?
> >

> > You can configure your kernel to use power management - either APM or
> > ACPI depending on your hardware. I don't know how it's done with the
> > debian packaged kernel, but if you compile from scratch, the power
> > management stuff is under General setup in menuconfig.
>
> Or just load the APM module.

In the default kernel, 2.2.20, APM is not a module.  It is compiled in
and disabled by default.  Add "apm=on" to the append variable in
/etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo, if you are using it.  I expect GRUB has
the capability too.  Or just turn in on at the boot prompt, e.g.,
"Linux apm=on".

HTH,
  Jeffrey