Re: Debian freezes

    "Subba" == Subba Rao <subba9@cablespeed.com> writes:

    Subba> I am running Debian 3.0r (woody) and in many ways can be
    Subba> still considered a Debian newbie, since I am moving from
    Subba> the Slackware camp.

    Subba> There are quite a few packages that I have downloaded such
    Subba> as Gnome 2.2 XFree86 4.2.2 and several more.  Debian
    Subba> freezes more frequently now i.e. each time that the
    Subba> screensaver runs more than X hours. I simply have to reboot
    Subba> the system.  Without the forum taking offence I never
    Subba> experienced this kind of system freezing on Slackware.

Please be aware that Gnome 2.2 is not in Debian. You have chosen to
use a port that some one was nice enough to provide for Woody. You
should see if the person who did this recommends a mailing list or
other forum to help debug problems. If it's this list, that's fine. I
don't use Gnome (or KDE) at all, so I can't really help in any case
but I'll still give you some gratuitous advice below.

    Subba> I am clueless as to find why the X is freezing.  Sometimes
    Subba> it uses 99% CPU while other times it simple freezes the
    Subba> system.  Cntrl+Alt+Backspace will do nothing.  I have to
    Subba> power down the system and in worst cases (when the system
    Subba> did not respond to the "power" button) I had to pull the
    Subba> power cord, to restart the system.

    Subba> PS - Please do not send me URLs and say go and read that.

Well, considering that you have not told us what video hardware you
have, which process is eating up 100% of CPU, if this problem happened
with stock Woody or only after you added the non-standard Debian
sources to your sources.list, what do you see in the system logs after
recovering from a freeze etc., I cannot understand why you would say
something like that. We're pretty clueless too, and we usually go read
URLs ;-)

Cheers!
Shyamal