The SCO IP suit [was Fw: Boycott Caldera/SCO Products]

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 16:25:53 +0530 (IST),
Sharninder wrote:

[...]

> The SCO Group (aka Caldera Systems) has launched a major threat
> to the Linux OS by suing IBM for $1 billion for IP
> violations. Their core argument is that Linux would have
> remained a hobbyist OS if IBM had not leaked SCO's Unix IP into
> it.
>
> This is bad because:

I think this is good. Uncertainty creates more FUD. If SCO
seriously pursues its case, we'll find out for sure whether its
claims are legally valid or not.

> o It creates a lot of FUD about the legality of linux and the
> safety of corporate IP when Free/Open Source Sotware is used.

Enough FUD has already been created by all the Linux new site and
Slashdot postings.

> o It implies that we (the Free and Open Source community) do not
> have the competence to produce quality software without stealing
> IP.

GNU has been making free software even long before Linus started
his pet project. After all, as they say, Gnu's NOT Unix. Maybe
it's time to invest some serious resources into The Hurd ;-),
another OS type that Debian supports.

http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/