Re: Debian freezes

On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 11:49, Subba Rao wrote:
> I am running Debian 3.0r (woody) and in many ways can be still considered a
> Debian newbie, since I am moving from the Slackware camp.
>
> One thing I like about Debian is the "apt" package.  I have installed several
> packages via the net very conveniently.  However I do not know if there are any
> best practices in setting up "sources.list".  When I wanted some package I
> would add the source to the sources.list file and then update my system. Is
> this a sound practice?

I dont think that adding "unofficial" sources would be considered a good
practise unless you really wanted thoses packages, the version is
unstable inappropriate *and* you know what you are doing.

You are running the stable distribution which runs older packages to
ensure reliability. If you want newer packages, why dont you just try
the testing distribution.

Just remove all the lines in sources.list and replace with (make sure
you remove the line breaks that are put in by the mailer)

deb ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

#NON US packages
deb ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org/non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org/non-US testing/non-US main contrib
non-free

If the packages there are still too old for you. Try the replacing the
testing with unstable. Although, be warned, unstable is prone to
breakages.

You can also run a testing distro with some unstable packages which is
what a *lot* of people do. For this, include the line

APT::Default-Release "testing";

in your /etc/apt/apt.conf

install a package from unstable using

apt-get -t unstable install <package>

You will have to have source lines in sources.list for the testing *and*
unstable branch.

> There are quite a few packages that I have downloaded such as Gnome 2.2
> XFree86 4.2.2 and several more.  Debian freezes more frequently now i.e. each
> time that the screensaver runs more than X hours. I simply have to reboot the
> system.  Without the forum taking offence I never experienced this kind of
> system freezing on Slackware.

gnome 2.2 is available in unstable and so is XFree 4.2.1. Also,

A common mistake with debian newbies is to installed packages randomly
just because you can. Try sticking with debian packages and you should
find that these kind of problems happen *far* less often.

Update your sources to point only to the debian packages, "upgrade" your
system and see how that goes.

You can also reinstall specific packages that are giving you problems
using the command

apt-get install --reinstall <package>

HTH,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            Edinburgh, Scotland     Tel: (0131) 558 9990
Email: shri@urbyte.com                             Web: www.urbyte.com