[Fwd: [LIP] Fw: Boycott Caldera/SCO Products]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [LIP] Fw: Boycott Caldera/SCO Products
From: Devdas Bhagat <dvb@users.sourceforge.net>
Date: Sat, March 8, 2003 1:46 pm
To: linux-india-help@lists.sourceforge.net,
linux-india-general@lists.sourceforge.net

Forwarded without prejudice. All further discussion on this to be
on LIG.

Devdas Bhagat

----- Forwarded message from Biju Chacko <biju_chacko@vsnl.net>
-----

From: Biju Chacko <biju_chacko@vsnl.net>
Date: 08 Mar 2003 12:27:10 +0530
To: linux-bangalore-non-tech@yahoogroups.com
Cc: dvb@users.sourceforge.net
Subject: Boycott Caldera/SCO Products

Hi,

The SCO Group (aka Caldera Systems) has launched a major threat to
the Linux OS by suing IBM for $1 billion for IP violations. Their
core argument is that Linux would have remained a hobbyist OS if
IBM had not leaked SCO's Unix IP into it.

This is bad because:

o It creates a lot of FUD about the legality of linux and the
safety of corporate IP when Free/Open Source Sotware is used.

o It implies that we (the Free and Open Source community) do not
have the competence to produce quality software without stealing
IP.

This, therefore, is a call to boycott all Caldera and SCO products.
Do not use or recommend the use of:

* Caldera OpenLinux
* SCO Linux
* SCO OpenServer
* SCO UnixWare

For more information:

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2003-03-07-011-26-NW-CD-LL
http://lwn.net/Articles/24747/
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=56225&&cid=5456337
http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,57955,00.html

Please take this seriously.

regards,

-- b

PS: Devdas, please post this on the LI lists, if you this it's
appropriate.

PPS: Kingsly, if it's appropriate, can I cross post this onto the
other LB* lists?

Biju 'botsie' Chacko                        biju_chacko at vsnl dot
net http://www.symonds.net/~botsie          Public Key available on
request