Re: Dumb question: How do you reboot?

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:15:26AM -0500, Bob Paige wrote:
> Nathan E Norman wrote:
> >One day this fellow discovered MY servers.  The console screen didn't
> >dissuade him; he just hit ctrl-alt-del to get a "login screen".  Sigh.
> >Unscheduled downtime.

> Isn't this a good example of why _not_ to have ctrl-alt-del reboot the
> system?

Yes and no.  Yes if it's a server (you don't want people taking
servers down unless they know what they're doing, and probably not
even then), no if it's a workstation (the user will only affect
himself).  Of course, if you give users any way to reboot their own
workstations, you may need to lock down BIOS and LILO/GRUB so they
can't root the box simply by rebooting.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that