Re: XDMCP and client requirements

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:33:18AM -0500, Bob Paige wrote:
> Another possibility I've considered would be to not use XDMCP but
> instead NFS mount everything and invoke it from the client.

Yeah, that works pretty well, provided the client's RAM and CPU are
up to the task.

> I'm not
> concerned about NFS security issues because this is just in my house.

XDMCP is roughly as secure as NFS (and arguably less secure), given
that it's a plain-text protocol which, among other things, asks for
your password when you log in, then sends it across the network.

> The only way I can think of doing this would be to start X locally, open
> an xterm, log into the server, and run apps from there.
> The display would be the client, but the CPU would be the server's.

If you're NFS mounting everything an running ot on the client, then
you're using the client's CPU.  If you want to use the server's CPU,
you would ssh to the server (with X tunnelling enabled) and use ssh
to tell the server to run it and display on the client's screen.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that