Re: Dumb question: How do you reboot?

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 12:36:16PM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 08:37:29PM -0800, Leo Spalteholz wrote:
> > CTRL+ALT+DEL is more equivalent to "shutdown -r now" than holding the
> > power button..
>
> To be precise, under a default debian config, C-A-D is equivalent to
> `/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now`, per /etc/inittab.

[ No technical content, just a funny story ]

At a prior job, we had a bunch of servers in a datacenter.  Some of
the datacenter people liked to play with the keyboard; one of them was
convinced that the only server OS in the whole world was Windows NT.
He liked to try to log into Windows NT servers (some of the servers
that were running NT had easy passwords, I guess).

One day this fellow discovered MY servers.  The console screen didn't
dissuade him; he just hit ctrl-alt-del to get a "login screen".  Sigh.
Unscheduled downtime.

Shortly afterward, /etc/inittab had this entry:

 ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/bin/echo "Nice try, dumbass"

And yes, the datacenter guy eventually disappeared.

  You can have Peace, or you can have Freedom. Don't ever count on
  having both at the same time.
          -- Robert A. Heinlein