keyboard not working after kernel compile

hi listers,
This is my fourth time compiling try to compile a kernel. Last time my
 card with dhcp didn't work lucky for me someone posted that packet
(or was it socket) filtering is required. Recompiled today and now the
keyboard isn't working. i have looked at the options a number of times
but can't make head or tail or it.

i am not using usb keyboard so why should i use input core support
whose help says something about USB HID.

any pointers.

regards
sukrit