Re: must.. surpress ... murderous rage.... (simple boot floppy qveshtion)

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 21:58:41 -0500
"Victor Stan" <victor@argilent.com> wrote:

>  Now I want to make sure that I use the new one, will your
> instructions or anybody's instructions of doing something with vmlinuz
> going to assure that whatever that command of option or flag
> (whatever) that is going to - I'm repeating myself-  use the new
> kernel?
>
> - Vic

As I said - "substitute the location of your kernel as appropriate".
Just use the exact path to the kernel you want to boot instead of the
generic /vmlinuz in the "if=XXX" part. So,

dd if=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-i686 of=/dev/fd0 bs=8192

Also - I should have mentioned before - your kernel needs to be below a
certain size (about 1 MB, IIRC) for this to work. If you compiled it
yourself, that's what the warning "kernel is too big for standalone boot
from floppy" is telling you. So, if you didn't see that, it should be
all good.

--Todd