Re: getting the initrd to load

Am Don, 2003-03-06 um 01.33 schrieb Ian Melnick:
> > You can use romfs or even ext2/ext3.  Check out the MKIMAGE setting
> > in mkinitrd.conf.
>
> Okay, I used genromfs (i think) according to the example in your man page.
> Lilo doesn't load it, and on startup, I still get a message:
> "RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid ram disk image starting at 0."
> It's still in /boot; in lilo.conf it says: initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20
>
> What now?
> Thanks

Hi,

looks like your initrd is no valid disk (more likely) or your kernel is
compiled without support for "cramfs" in filesystems / blockdevices
(less likely i think).

If initrd is not in place the message should look something like this :
> request-module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root FS on 03:01

Try "mkinitrd". I used it many times - and it runs. Use it after
installing the new kernel and the new modules. If your current kernel
ist not the same number than your new one, you will have to extend the
mkintrd-command with the path of your new modules-dir (usually
/lib/modules/2.4.20 for a kernel 2.4.20) :

	mkinitrd -o your-initrd-name /lib/modules/2.4.20

--
Wilfried Essig