Re: The Very Verbose Guide to Updating and Compiling Your Debian Kernel

At Tue, 4 Mar 2003 08:10:59 -0800,
Carla Schroder wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 March 2003 3:16 am, Haralambos Geortgilakis wrote:
> > Hi Yall,
> >
> > spotted the above titled article & it seemed to me some of us
> > & me might find it of use, so here is the url....
> >
> > http://www.osnews.com/printer.php?news_id=2949
>

> That's a great link, thanks. Compiling kernels isn't so scary
> with instructions like this!

Actually I found it quite terrifying. It was quite a long way to
go about describing a system that was designed to make kernel
compiling easier in the first place.

I learned about make-kpkg from a few posts about how to (1) wget
http://kernel/linux.tgz (2) untar linux.tgz (3) cd linux/ (4)
"make xconfig" (5) make-kpkg --put-your-useless-options-here (6)
watch TV (7) dpkg -i spanking_new_kernel.deb.(8) reboot and pray.

It would be another matter if he had written a Very Verbose Guide
to Compiling Your Kernel the Non-Debian Way.