USB device detection problem

After either rebooting from windoze to linux, or even with
a complete shutdown/poweroff, my two usb mass-storage
devices aren't detected unless I boot Linux twice!  Loading
and unloading modules doesn't help.
Everything USB works fine in linux afterwards (and
beforewards).  There are no error messages, just a lack of
device detection messages.  /proc/bus/usb/devices won't
show the drives when this happens, but all USB ports are
detected.
ctl-alt-del as bios is scanning for a bootable floppy does
the trick, but a better solution should definately be had.

-jackp

note: M$ has no problems ever detecting the devices so I
don't think its a BIOS issue.