Re: Upgrade to KDE 3.1

Sharninder wrote:

If you just have the debs, and only want to update one machine,
the  right way is to download the debs and install the using
dpkg.
Then to keep up to date you might want to add the repository from
where  you got the packets from to your sources.list.

deb http://download.us.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/latest/Debian/
woody main

as i said .. i have already mirrored the
ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.1/Debian/* hierarchy using wget -c -r
...Now i want to use this to install kde3.1 to my desktop. There are
more than 250MBs of debs. Can't I just give the name of some
metapackage like kde .. and install everything.
Sharninder Singh
National Institute Of Management, Calcutta
Oh, sorry I understood you wrong. This should mean that you also have the requred packages and release files. The line

deb ftp://[your server]/[location of mirror root] woody main

Should do the trick. I have never tried making a personal mirror myself though.

Then install the kde metapackage and whatever else you want.
apt-get update
apt-get install kde [and whatever...]

hth,
/johan