Re: Dumb question: How do you reboot?

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 09:17:39PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> I believe the next version of Gnome's login screen (gdm) implements a
> menu allowing you to shutdown/reboot.

Hmm, doesn't the version in Woody have that cabability?  GDM has been
able to do that for quite some time (I think SystemMenu is set "false"
by default).

/etc/gdm/gdm.conf

[daemon]
HaltCommand=/sbin/shutdown -h now "Halted from gdm menu."
RebootCommand=/sbin/shutdown -r now "Rebooted from gdm menu."

[greeter]
SystemMenu=true

echo ">gra.fcw@2ztr< eryyvZ .T pveR" | rot13 | reverse

--

To change it in the GUI, there are two ways:

1. login to X as root, bring up an xterm and execute 'gdmconfig' at the prompt 2. login as normal user and in the xterm execute 'sudo gdmconfig' (or some utility similar to sudo)

In the window that pops up, click the "Login behaviour" tab along the top. The first option should read: "Show the 'system' menu ..." Click the checkbox next to it, apply the changes and restart X with CTL-ALT-BKSPC. Next time the greeter comes up (after a boot or a log out) you will have the option to shutdown or reboot the system from the graphical menu (without needing to become root first).

Hope you find this info useful.

-Roberto Sanchez