Re: Dumb question: How do you reboot?

On March 4, 2003 09:01 pm, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 09:17:39PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> > I believe the next version of Gnome's login screen (gdm)
> > implements a menu allowing you to shutdown/reboot.
>
> Hmm, doesn't the version in Woody have that cabability?  GDM has
> been able to do that for quite some time (I think SystemMenu is set
> "false" by default).
>
> /etc/gdm/gdm.conf
>
> [daemon]
> HaltCommand=/sbin/shutdown -h now "Halted from gdm menu."
> RebootCommand=/sbin/shutdown -r now "Rebooted from gdm menu."
>
> [greeter]
> SystemMenu=true
>
> --

How come that works anyway?  If you are not logged in as root, in fact
you're not logged in at all, then why are you allowed to shut down
the machine?  Is this not a security risk?  Couldn't anyone just ssh
in and then reboot the machine without logging in or what am I
missing here?

Thanks,
Leo

I believe that to even get the gdm menu, you must have physical access to the terminal (not sure). However, if you trust people enough to enable XDMCP for them, then you can probably trust them enough to shutdown/reboot the machine.

-Roberto