Re: What he heck is FIFO?

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 10:23:40PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Mar 2003, Greg Madden wrote:
> > > the remote I am asked for an IP and port. Grrr. For the local I am asked
> > > for a FIFO. Please tell me what to do to dial. By the way, I am in Gnome.

> BTW, install dictd, dict, and dict-vera. Then you can:
> $ dict FIFO
> which answers with:
> >From V.E.R.A. -- Virtual Entity of Relevant Acronyms June 2002 [vera]:
>
>   FIFO
>             First In First Out (CPU)
>
> It won't help you dial your ISP, but now you know what the heck is a FIFO :P

That's not an especially helpful definition given the context.

$ info mkfifo
 A "FIFO" is a special file type that permits independent processes
to communicate.  One process opens the FIFO file for writing, and
another for reading, after which data can flow as with the usual
anonymous pipe in shells or elsewhere.

An example of a FIFO is /dev/xconsole, as in:

$ xconsole -file /dev/xconsole &

Messages get "written" to the special file and xconsole reads them
into a window (something like "tail -f /dev/syslog").

--
echo ">gra.fcw@2ztr< eryyvZ .T pveR" | rot13 | reverse