Re: kernel-image-2.4.20-k7 in SID

Hi,

> As far as I understand the default compiler for sid is gcc 3.2.
Today I
> installed kernel-image-2.4.20-k7 from sid and cat /proc/version
shows

> Linux version 2.4.20-k7 (herbert@gondolin) (gcc version 2.95.4
20011002
> (Debian prerelease)) #1 Tue Jan 14 00:29:06 EST 2003

That's due to the fact that this kernel is precompiled in the package,
and
2.95.4 was the version used by the maintainer.

But shouldn't it be compiled with gcc 3.2? I was running mixed woody/sid Debian (Gnome2 from sid, everything else from woody) and I dist-upgraded solely for reason that all my programs would be compiled using the same compiler. Now for example I tried to compile nvidia-kernel and it began complaining about compiler. I had to set $CC=gcc-2.95 to compile it correctly. But I suppose this should not be this way? Or am I missing something here?

Mpiktas