Re: kernel-image-2.4.20-k7 in SID

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 09:23:48PM +0200, Mpiktas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> As far as I understand the default compiler for sid is gcc 3.2.
> >Today I
> >> installed kernel-image-2.4.20-k7 from sid and cat /proc/version
> >shows
> >>
> >> Linux version 2.4.20-k7 (herbert@gondolin) (gcc version 2.95.4
> >20011002
> >> (Debian prerelease)) #1 Tue Jan 14 00:29:06 EST 2003
> >
> >That's due to the fact that this kernel is precompiled in the package,
> >and
> >2.95.4 was the version used by the maintainer.
> >

> But shouldn't it be compiled with gcc 3.2?

Well, ideally, but it was built on (presumably) Herbert's workstation,
which apparently is still using gcc 2.95 as the default gcc.  The GCC
3.2 transition just means that the buildd's (build daemons, that build
the vast majority of the Debian binary packages) started using gcc 3.2
as default; I think some stuff is still built with 2.95 even on the
buildd's, but that would require deliberate intervention.

> I was running mixed woody/sid Debian (Gnome2 from sid, everything else
> from woody) and I dist-upgraded solely for reason that all my programs
> would be compiled using the same compiler.

Why do you care what program your software is compiled with?  Aside from
the G++ issues, you shouldn't even be able to tell (aside from the
mythical speed improvements of gcc 3.2).

> Now for example I tried to compile nvidia-kernel and it began
> complaining about compiler. I had to set $CC=gcc-2.95 to compile it
> correctly.

OK.

> But I suppose this should not be this way?

No, it shouldn't, but Nvidia release stupid binary drivers under a
moronic license.  Complain to them.  If they release proper Free
drivers, then there wouldn't be this compilation issue.  In fact, you
wouldn't need to compile anything, since it could be merged into the
kernel and XFree86.  Oh yeah, and then it would work on more than ONE
architecture of the ELEVEN that Debian supports.

> Or am I missing something here?

Have you read /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-src/README.Debian.gz?  It
explains exactly what to do.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/