Re: Windows Server 2003

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 9:49 am, Jeetu Golani wrote:
> Hi ppl,
>
> I've been reading up on Windows Server 2003 and though I realize that most
> of what i'm reading is just wat MS wants me to read,anyways some of the
> features seem to be of good potential,Linux has been holding the upper hand
> in the Server segment so far, was wondering bout steps being taken to
> counter Windows and offer similar (or better) features in forthcoming Linux
> releases. If substantial and major features in Win 2003 are already there
> in Linux today I'd appreciate if you could point me to that too.
>
> I'd actually love to hear from ppl who've used Win 2000 Server (or better
> Win Server 2003 beta) and tell me if it actually measures up. A few ppl I
> know using Win 2000 Server on small networks are very very happy with
> improvements.

I've been administering winderz machines since 1994, came to Linux sometime
later. The only circumstances, IMO, that warrant running a windows server of
any kind are:

1. on a completely isolated LAN, not connected to any other network
2. to get certain functions that cannot be had any other way, such as certain
application servers. Even then I would search hard for a *nix solution.
3. with IT staff that are extremely competent and well-trained and very
experienced. No half-baked do-it-yourselfers need apply.

Windows is a mess. It is overly complicated and overly interdependent. MS
co-opts and breaks standards. It is impossible to secure- if your firewall is
penetrated, good-bye the store. (don't forget to restrict outgoing traffic,
so you don't spew Slammer or Klez or some such all over the world)
Applications have free access to system files. Big deal if users have
restricted privileges, when applications can muck up system files.

The other excellent option for a network OS is Novell. IMO, Netware is the
best network OS there is, even better than *nix. It has first-rate directory
and management tools, and integrates mixed platforms better than anyone.
Throw in Macs, Linux, Windows, OS/2, whatever you like, Netware makes them
all play nice together.

So, if you have the budget and want the very best, go with Novell. A close
second-best is Linux, or BSD, or any Unix.
--
Carla Schroder