Ogg encoding broken in Sarge?

Just confirming that I'm reading the bug reports correctly... I went
Woody --> Sarge last night without a hitch, except that Ogg encoding
broke. Running "oggenc" dies with a message about missing
libvorbisenc.so.0, which sure enough is nowhere to be found. There are
numerous bug reports (150+ days old) about broken vorbis-tools, but it's
not crystal clear that I have quite the same issue. To work around it, I
first tried symlinking the missing file to libvorbisenc.so.2, which
worked but was horribly slow. So instead I compiled vorbis-tools by
hand, and dropped the new oggenc into /usr/local, which seems to work
about 4x faster. So, two questions...

1) Am I correct in thinking that vorbis-tools is flat out broken in
Sarge, or did I do something to screw things up?

2) Is my workaround OK?

--Todd