Re: Ogg encoding broken in Sarge?

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:34:00PM -0600, Todd Pytel wrote:
> Just confirming that I'm reading the bug reports correctly... I went
> Woody --> Sarge last night without a hitch, except that Ogg encoding
> broke. Running "oggenc" dies with a message about missing
> libvorbisenc.so.0, which sure enough is nowhere to be found. There are
> numerous bug reports (150+ days old) about broken vorbis-tools, but it's
> not crystal clear that I have quite the same issue.

I think so.

> To work around it, I first tried symlinking the missing file to
> libvorbisenc.so.2, which worked but was horribly slow.

Gah, I'm surprised this worked at all.  I thought they'd be binary
incompatible?  Maybe they were 'almost compatible'.

> So instead I compiled vorbis-tools by hand, and dropped the new oggenc
> into /usr/local, which seems to work about 4x faster. So, two
> questions...
>
> 1) Am I correct in thinking that vorbis-tools is flat out broken in
> Sarge, or did I do something to screw things up?

Yep, it's been broken for a veeeery long time (150+ days ;), but libc
has been jamming sarge for about as long, so it's not been fixed.

> 2) Is my workaround OK?

Yes.  You could also get the Debian source from sid and rebuild it for
woody, which would be just as neat.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/