Re: About user nobody

Satish Iyer wrote:
Hi,
    I have installed Woody 3.0 r0 on my desktop
system. At times I notice a process with high disk
activity running under user name "nobody". How can I
figure out which program is responsible for this and
what exactly is it upto? The user doesn't appear in the linuxconf interface.
Regards,
Satish.

It is probably updatedb, it runs every night to build an index for 'locate'. You could mv /etc/cron.daily/find to /etc/cron.weekly or get rid of it completely if you don't use locate though I do find it useful or you could change what time it runs by editing /etc/crontab...