RE: About user nobody

'nobody' is a generic user installed mainly for the purpose of running
non-privileged jobs that don't belong to any one user.  There is also a
'nogroup' on some *nix type systems.  As far as what program started the
process, and what it is up to, I'd suggest using the program 'top', if you
aren't already, and IIRC there is an option in 'top' to show the full
command line that called the process.  Hopefully that should get you
snooping in the right direction, at least.

> The user doesn't appear in the linuxconf interface.

Try 'less /etc/passwd'.  There are probably a lot of 'users' in there that
you don't recognize, and that aren't in linuxconf.  A lot of them are system
daemons or other accounts necessary for programs and services to run w/ the
correct access permissions and such.

BTW, try webmin instead of linuxconf.  Last I heard, it was more or less
dead and somewhat broken.

HTH,

Monte