Van: Jamie Lawrence [mailto:jal@lorenza.abulafia.com]
Verzonden: zondag 2 maart 2003 21:49
Aan: Debian
Onderwerp: Re: (OT) Virtual map in apache to another computer

On Sun, 02 Mar 2003, Willem-Jan Meijer wrote:

> Not really...it's not for internal use only.
> I've got a couple a hundred mp3 files and I want to share them with a
friend
> of my who lives a few miles away. I can't put them in /var/www because my
> hard-disk is to small for all the files. So I want to setup a virtual map.

I assume you are acting in accordance with your local laws.

> This is what I want:
>
> If my friend calls 62.163.158.122/music/ he has to open
> \\WILLEM-JAN\Documenten\Mijn muziek.
>
> It has to be possible, because I did it in Windows XP with IIS before.

If you are running IIS on the win box, you can proxy it with mod_proxy
through your apache server.

> I did an apt-cache search mod_proxy but I didn't saw it
> Dselect gave me the same result.
> I looked at www.apache.org but mod_proxy isn't here.

It is usually distributed with the rest of Apache. For docs, see

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_proxy.html .

Alternately, as I mentioned, you can export your Windows directory (I'm
not very familiar with XP; you'll have to figure that out for yourself),
mount it on your Apache box using Samba/smbmount. After the XP permissions
are correct, it will be something like

   mount -o username=user,password=pass -t smb "//WILLEM-JAN/Documenten/Mijn
Musziek" /path/to/mount/point

then create an alias in your Apache config, something like

  Alias /music /path/to/mount/point

Good luck.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        jal@jal.org
Cross platform apps are like unisex underwear.