Re: Problem with Mysql - Perl 5.8

Debian User wrote:
> Need some advice here, I installed Perl 5.8.0 on my Debian box, on top
> of the Debian Perl package 5.6.1
>
> Perl seems to work, but I tried to install the DBD::mysql bundle and am
> running into errors telling me mysql_config cannot be found.

It's really not a good idea to try to build your own perl if you're
going to put it in PATH like this. If you do it, you have to be very
careful to match the @INC of debian's perl, which is different from
default.

  Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY USE_ITHREADS USE_LARGE_FILES PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
  Built under linux
  Compiled at Feb 17 2003 12:38:57
  @INC:
    /etc/perl
    /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.0
    /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.0
    /usr/lib/perl5
    /usr/share/perl5
    /usr/lib/perl/5.8.0
    /usr/share/perl/5.8.0
    /usr/local/lib/site_perl
    .

If your @INC doesn't match, you're SOL. In particular, debian packages will
often install files into /usr/share/perl5, which is a debian-specific
directory.

If you don't know how to build a perl with a proper @INC, you should use
the precompiled packages (which are available in unstable for perl 5.8.0).

Even if you get your @INC right, you will run into all kind of trouble
with a locally built perl since binary perl modules shipped in packages will
not work on it, and you have essentially bypassed the whole dependency
system there.

> I'm not too sure what to do now, did I mess up in trying to install a
> Non Debian package on top of the system?

You should have at least told it to install in /usr/local/bin..

> Should I just restore from backup and go back to 5.6.1? Or should I just
> attempt the Mysql install from Source?

Your easiest fix may be to rename your local perl build to /usr/local/bin/
perl-5.8 and  use that in whatever programs you want to use it, leaving
/usr/bin/perl for the debian perl. Which I think you will have to tell apt
to reinstall to get back.

--
see shy jo