Re: X fonts dead after upgrade

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 08:27, Alan Chandler wrote:

> On Saturday 01 Mar 2003 9:22 am, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > I just did a Sid upgrade yesterday, and now all of my basic X apps and,
> > apparently, all of my GTK1 apps are using REALLY REALLY ugly fonts. All
> > of my GTK2 apps look fine however. These fonts are bad to the point of
> > unreadability. In evolution, for example, there's no difference between
> > bold and regular. And the fonts are most certainly not anti-aliased
> > anymore. Emacs running in graphical mode looks just as bad as do the
> > title bars in Galeon (1.2.7) although the actual page fonts are just
> > fine. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>
> My guess is that your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 just got updated and removed some
> of your fontpath lines.
>
> I suspect reason your gtk2 apps are fine is because the do not use the built
> in font serving capabilities of the xserver but use xft/fontconfig/freetype
> to display the fonts.
>
> Take a look at the above config file and see if its dropped some of your font
> directories.

My XF86Config did get updated but the fontpath lines weren't changed.
After some testing, I think I've found the problem though I don't know
how to find any more information on it. Apparently the font server
and/or the Type1 fonts are causing the problem. Removing FontPath
"unix/:7100" and FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1" fixes the problem.
Why exactly it fixes it, I don't know. Any ideas on how to further track
this down so I can either fix it completely or file a bug if necessary?

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837