Re: Phoenix with java ..

Thus spake Sandip P Deshmukh:
> well, i use it only for viewing some sites. i see that several sites use
> java for tickers, etc. so i need a lightweight browser with java
> support. phoenix fits the bill, hence phoenix.

Are you using a copy of phoenix from the phoenix project page on
mozilla.org, or are you using the preliminary Debian packages from
people.debian.org/~eric ?

If you're using the latter, you're likely falling victim to the same
thing that I am - namely, the fact that the phoenix .debs are compiled
with gcc 3.2, while java is compiled with gcc 2.95.  If I fix the line
in the phoenix script to not send all output to /dev/null, I see that I
get an error loading the java plugin... a quick google search revealed
the cause of it.  What it boils down to is:

1) Use a version of phoenix compiled with 2.95
2) Wait until a version of java compatible with a gcc 3.2
mozilla/phoenix is available.

(I'd suggest doing #1... I believe that the binaries on mozilla.org are
compiled with 2.95)

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

Skepticism: the mark and even the pose of the educated mind. - John
Dewey