Re: Laptop's power button made to suspend?

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 06:48:26PM -0500, Eduardo Duenez wrote:
> Is it possible to configure my Woody laptop so if the power button is
> pressed (say, by mistake) then the laptop only goes into suspend mode rather
> than just turning immediately and forcefully?  Or at least to make it
> shutdown cleanly?  I've played with other people's laptops (running Windoze)
> and it works more or less as follows: just pressing the power button equals
> suspend, and holding it down for a second or two really equals shutting down
> forcefully.  Would be nice to emulate this behavior...

I'm not too sure about APM but I know this (or something similar) can be
done with ACPI as it's what I do right now with my power button. Give
2.4's ACPI a go. If it doesn't work, see about trying the patches from
the acpi team (I believe Andrew Grover from Intel heads it). Also, don't
forget to install the acpid package.

--
"Other countries of course, bear the same risk. But there's no doubt his
hatred is mainly directed at us. After all this is the guy who tried to         kill my dad."