Laptop's power button made to suspend?

Is it possible to configure my Woody laptop so if the power button is
pressed (say, by mistake) then the laptop only goes into suspend mode rather
than just turning immediately and forcefully?  Or at least to make it
shutdown cleanly?  I've played with other people's laptops (running Windoze)
and it works more or less as follows: just pressing the power button equals
suspend, and holding it down for a second or two really equals shutting down
forcefully.  Would be nice to emulate this behavior...

Thanks,
Eduardo