Re: New Kernel - No Network

bounce-debian-user=glhenni=sandia.gov@lists.debian.org writes:
> I just compiled and installed linux-2.4.20.  I had been running
> linux-2.2.22 without network problems.  The new kernel does not
> configure the network. At startup, the new kernel says it can't find
> module 3c59x, the driver for the 3COM network card (it also says it
> can't find the unix module). If I boot the older kernel, I have no
> network problems at all.  I'm relatively new to Linux and don't know how
> to troubleshoot the new kernel.  The modules and modules.conf files in
> both kernels look the same.  Please advise.  Thanks.   Vince

You compiled the kernel yourself? If so you forgot to select the 3Com
driver for your ethernet adapter. You'll have to recompile the kernel
with that module. Using "make xconfig" in the kernel-source directory,
go to
        Network device support->Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)

Click "y" for "3COM cards" and then select "m" for [3c590/3c900 series
(592/595/597) "Vortex/Boomerang" support].

Gary