New Kernel - No Network

I just compiled and installed linux-2.4.20.  I had been running
linux-2.2.22 without network problems.  The new kernel does not
configure the network. At startup, the new kernel says it can't find
module 3c59x, the driver for the 3COM network card (it also says it
can't find the unix module). If I boot the older kernel, I have no
network problems at all.  I'm relatively new to Linux and don't know how
to troubleshoot the new kernel.  The modules and modules.conf files in
both kernels look the same.  Please advise.  Thanks.   Vince