Re: Using one mailbox at ISP for many people

In article <[🔎] 20030228174107.GA2270@bigdaddy.jaycee.home>,
Jonathan Matthews  <jaycee.removeifnotspam@jaycee.uklinux.net> wrote:
>On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 04:32:57PM +0000, Glyn Millington wrote:
>> Jonathan Matthews <jaycee.removeifnotspam@jaycee.uklinux.net> writes:
>>
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > [BRIEF SUMMARY - How do I segregate one mail stream from one mailbox
>> > at my ISP into different users locally?]
>>
>> > What combination of programs do I use to get one mailbox successfully
>> > segregated when it hits my machine?  I'm using fetchmail -> exim ->
>> > procmail at the moment, but I've lurked on the procmail list long enough
>> > not to ask about using it as a MDA (or is it an MTA that it shouldn't
>> > be treated as?).
>>
>> Procmail is _exactly_ what you want for this!  The package description:-
>[snip]
>
>Thaks Glyn - I've already got procmail doing list sorting, a bit of spam
>catching and so on.
>
>I'm wondering how to get a machine-wide procmail set up so that each
>user (well, me, really - I doubt my SO'll be at that stage for a while
>:-) can have their own .procmailrc applied /after/ the mail hits the box
>and is seperated to different users.

Weird - it'd be hard to setup so that this /didn't/ happen!
Fetchmail hands mail off to exim you say - well, if fetchmail
is configured correctly, it will check the headers to see to
whom to deliver locally, and it will deliver to either jonathan@localhost
or wife@localhost (kid@localhost etc). 'jonathan' and 'wife' would
be seperate login accounts, each with their own homedir and .procmailrc.

In short: do NOT use procmail to split the mail. Fetchmail is
perfectly capable of doing that before handing it off to exim,
and then things fall naturally into place.

Mike.
--
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should
on no account be allowed to do the job -- Douglas Adams.